Retinoid Usage Tips
- Only use them at night and start with no more than 3 nights a week.
- Wash your face, apply eye cream and any other serums you may use, then let your face completely dry.
- Avoid using Toning Pads & Vitamin C serum if you're still getting adjusted to your retinoid to prevent sensitivity.
- Apply a small (pea sized) amount of the retinoid.
- If you have very sensitive skin, mix with a moisturizer. Using a moisturizer like Barefaced Hydrating Lotion following your retinoid application, can speed up the adjustment period most people go through when starting to use retinoids.
- Your goal is to use it at least 5 nights a week, but start with 3 nights. Don’t add an additional night of use until your skin feels completely back to normal with the consistent 3 nights a week of usage.
- Your skin will flake, feel dry and have some sensitivity. That is normal. Don’t stop using it or you will go through that every time you restart using retinoids.
- When using retinoids, apply sunscreen daily as retinoids make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
Cue the sigh of relief — your skin will adjust if you consistently use 3 nights a week. See our full post on how to layer skincare products here!
Wondering what all the hype is about?! Read this to check out why you should start using retinoids in the first place!
- Clinical Interventions in Aging, December 2006, pages 327-348
- Advances in Dermatology and Allergology, August 2019, pages 392-397.