The Step You Should Never Skip
Washing our face is the bare minimum we can do for our skin. It removes impurities our pores collect throughout the day, keeps our skin from looking dirty, dull, or greasy, helps maintain proper pore size, and preserves hydration. Being consistent with cleansing is a necessity for keeping skin in peak condition, so let’s find one that’s the best fit for you.
Which cleanser is best for your skin type?
- Extremely sensitive, very dry skin ➝ Gentle Cleansing Lotion
- All skin types (except extremely sensitive) ➝ Papaya Enzyme Cleanser
^ If you’re not sure where to start, this one is a safe bet!
- Mild breakouts, dark spots or dull skin ➝ Brightening Facial Wash
^ Our most popular cleanser!
- Moderate to severe breakouts ➝ CLENZIderm Foaming Cleanser
How to properly cleanse
It may not seem like it needs any explanation, but believe it or not, there are some best practices for face washing that will set your skin up for the most success!
Best Methods for Facial Cleansing
Tip #1 – Always double cleanse at night.
- Throughout the day our skin comes in contact with and collects bacteria, viruses, dirt, environmental pollutants, and dead skin cells.
- Double cleansing helps to remove any makeup and all this debris that are clogging your pores.
- We suggest skipping makeup wipes! Very few makeup wipes on the market contain ingredients that can actually break down oils, makeup and dirt, so you're really just rubbing it all around your skin and into your pores. Try micellar water instead! It's formulated to dissolve dirt, debris and makeup. Plus, it doesn't rub or tug your skin like wipes (which can cause fine lines over time–yikes!).
Tip #2 – Use lukewarm water.
- Correct facial cleansing helps control PH levels of the skin, allowing for sufficient water and product retention.
- Hot water can inflame the skin and cold water doesn’t dissolve enough dirt.
- Appropriate hydration helps to both reduce dryness/redness while also preventing production of excess oils.
Tip #3 – Cleanse in circular motions for at least 60 seconds.
- This gives the ingredients in your cleanser time to actually work.
- Pores being properly cleared out allows for optimal product penetration.
- Look for a cleanser with ingredients that will suit your skin type + concerns.
Tip #4 – Gently pat your skin dry.
- Over time, tugging/pulling downward can breakdown collagen and elastin.
- Make sure to use a clean towel, especially if you’re prone to breakouts, since they easily harbor bacteria.
Tip #5 – Begin applying products within 60 seconds of cleansing.
- Products are better absorbed on damp skin.
- However, wait until your skin is fully dry if you experience any sensitivity or piling with product application.
When in doubt, you can reference this quick list of face washing do's and don't's.