Why We Swoon Over Skincare Pads
Barefaced skincare pads are 100% cotton pads formulated with some of our favorite acids, antioxidants and soothing ingredients to treat a variety of skin concerns. They combine several steps of a skincare routine into one simple swipe! (We swear multi-tasking is a love language.)
All of our pads are chemical exfoliants, meaning they include AHAs and BHAs to loosen the bonds between dead skin cells so they can shed more easily. We prefer chemical exfoliants because they’re less abrasive than physical exfoliants and can penetrate deeper into the skin providing a more effective exfoliation. And we are all about efficiency!
The benefits of this type of exfoliation?
- Products work better
- Prevents clogged pores
- Smooths uneven skin texture
- Reveals glowing skin
- Minimizes fine lines
The Three Types of Barefaced Pads
There are three varieties of treatment pads in the Barefaced lineup:
To understand them a little better, this episode of Skincare School breaks down the differences between Toning Pads and Toning Pads II.
Toning Pads and Toning Pads II
We believe everyone needs Toning Pads (or Toning Pads II)! That’s why they’re included in The Bare Necessities. We strongly believe they are a staple across all skin types and routines.
So what’s in them and why are they so universally needed?
These pads are formulated with Witch Hazel Water and more to:
- Improve skin tone
- Tone the skin while removing the last traces of dirt and excess oils in the pores after washing the face
- Minimize the appearance of pores
- Calm inflammation
- Be a natural solvent (able to breakdown other ingredients so that they perform better)
- Help minimize razor bumps
AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids), like glycolic acid, lactic acid and mandelic acid, work OUTSIDE the pore. These help with:
- Sun Damage
- Dead skin
BHAs (Beta Hydroxy Acids), like salicylic acid, work INSIDE the pore. These help with:
- Uneven tone
- Smoothing texture
So which ones are the right fit for you?!
It's important to note, Toning Pads (II) are treatment pads and so much more than a toner. Many times 'toners' are an unnecessary part of a routine whereas Toning Pads are working on the skin to do so much—not only to prep the skin for subsequent product application, but to gently exfoliate, brighten, smooth the skin and help prevent clogged pores.
Toning Pads Usage Tips
- For use on the face, neck and chest following cleanser.
- Make sure you apply all the way up to your hairline where dead skin cells can collect!
- Start with once a day (in the AM) on alternating days until tolerated. Then increase frequency to one day per week until using daily.
- Then increase usage to 2x per day (AM and PM) as desired and tolerated.
The Power of Glow Peel Pads
Glow Peel Pads are recommended for anyone who wants a weekly treatment/at-home chemical peel to provide deeper exfoliation, a smoother, more even skin tone, minimize fine lines, wrinkles and treat dark spots. They have 15% glycolic acid (holy grail for exfoliation) to help achieve smoother texture and brighter, more even-toned skin. They're also packed with vitamins and antioxidants, which in turn, nourish and protect the skin.
Glow Peel Pads are best for:
- acne-prone skin
- oily skin
- dull skin
- mature skin
They're not just for the face, though–they can be used on the body to treat bumps like Keratosis Pilaris and ingrown hairs...anywhere!
Glow Peel Pads Usage Tips
- Gradual introduction is still best! Start with once a week, after cleansing, in place of Toning Pads/toner.
- When used on the face, aim for 1-3x/week.
- Don't use a retinoid on the nights you use Glow Peel Pads.
- First time users: if this feels a little too 'spicy' for you, try rinsing or splashing your face with cool water after 5 minutes. It may take a few uses to be able to tolerate!
The good news–they can be used daily on the body. Score! If using one pad for everything, always use on the face first before moving on to the body. (Or use two 😉.)
Using Toning Pads with Glow Peel Pads
Use the Toning Pads in the AM and PM after cleanser. Use the Glow Peel Pads 1-3x/week in the AM or PM in place of Toning Pads–and don't use any other skincare pads that same day.
Aside from Toning Pads, you don't want to use any form of exfoliation more than a few times a week. Over-exfoliation can lead to an impaired skin barrier–redness, sensitivity, dryness, and increased breakouts.